Saturday, February 24, 2018

Sakara Detox II Program Adventure

Sakara Detox Adventure

For so long I have wanted to try a Sakara program, much like Ariel I wanted to be a part of Whitney and Danielle's world. I wanted to walk in their shoes and hopefully feel the benefits of Sakara nutrient rich foods. As far as detox programs go, it was a little pricey but I really felt that you received a lot for your money and after much pleading I talked Craig into letting me try the Sakara Detox II Program.
___________________________ 

So what drove this land mermaid to try a detox, besides the lure of Sakara glowing skin, well curiosity and a long struggle with loving my own body. As simple as that statement may be there are many layers to that onion. To keep it brief I have never felt comfortable in my own skin, be it physically or mentally. Anxiety and depression is a part of who I am and often its led to my own downfall. So I wanted to see what would happen if I tried to reboot my body, reset my habits. Would it help out my mind...my sleep, my SELF. Either way I needed to push my body and Sakara was a start!
When I saw their white box sitting on my porch I could not wait to open it! As I peeled off the tape a glowing light appeared and angels sang out...okay not really but I couldn't have been more excited. Each meal was boxed up and labeled for each day. Perfectly portioned out. Plus some light Sakara reading to better help understand the detox process.

Day 1-3 and 5 included a whole-food breakfast, lunch and a medicinal broth dinner. Plus digestive tea, a kefir coconut drink, detox and beauty water concentrates and daily supplements. Day 4 is soup day, including (you got it) soup and greens detox blends.
Each piece to this detox puzzle had been thought over. So many details to enrich your body. I have never detoxed before so I knew it would be a challenge. I was not afraid of the food, as I already don't eat meat but I was concerned about giving up sweets. My usual day consists of light snacking instead of big meals, I found that this worked best.
For first-timers Sakara mavens added a dry brush, for sweeping away the old you each morning and night. Dry brushing was kind of magical and actually made me think less about my anxiety picking compulsion. My skin was a part of this detox and it needed to be healed. 
Day one: 
For the first day of detox I started off with a High Fitness class at 6:00 am. I knew that detoxing might make me sluggish so I wanted to start off strong! After class I savored my first beauty water and morning supplements while packing for work. The Sakara lined tote was perfect for taking my meals to work. Breakfast was a lovely Root Veggie Detox. 
Could have been because it was my first Sakara meal, but I really loved the black beans and sweet potato! It seemed strange to eat such a rich proper meal but with each bite I was more and more satisfied. After breakfast my snack was to be digestive tea. Honestly...it tasted horrible but I kept at it ha ha ha! It was nice to have something warm to drink while dreaming of my go-to snack of almonds and Lara Bites.
Lunch was a Nori Wrap with Super-Food Wasabi for dipping. I didn't like the wrap as much and saved the wasabi for Craig. I don't enjoy the burn lol! It may have been the mushrooms or nori that got me but I ate as much as I could. Lunch came with a light salad and tangy sauce that I used with my wrap instead.
After some more tea, to tide me over I got to enjoy a Probiotic Coconut Kefir drink. The kefir boost was a dream after not having anything sweet all day. Even if it was really coconut water it had the tiny bit of sweet I was looking for and it was pretty refreshing as well. I was a little sad when it was gone!
Dinner was a Medicinal Broth. This was the scientifically designed Sakara component that I was most curious about. As instructed I heated up the broth and began sipping. It was much more enjoyable and filling than I thought it would be and felt like something my mom or a witch would stir up to help me feel better.

The day concluded with detox water, supplements and a dry brushing. I was introduced to the beauty and detox concentrates awhile ago but they remain one of my favorite wellness weapons. So simple yet effective. A few drops of beauty concentrate in the morning, a few detox at night in your water. Essential for travel as well! Sipping a glass of green chlorophyll water before bed felt cleansing and mentally I felt that it was preparing my body for rest.
Day Two:
Much like the day before, minus the High Fitness, I brushed away my sleepy skin, rinsed off and prepped for the day ahead. Breakfast was a Deep Forest Detox. The fennel and burdock root was different and tasty, it powered me through the day. I loved how there was a real richness and flavor to these seemingly simple ingredients!
Breakfast was interesting on day two, I fully enjoyed it but my stomach was done with strange food by the time lunch rolled around. I chose to have my teas and kefir boost instead. I hope that was okay to do? Plus since I had lunch at home, I could heat and plate it properly, as all Sakara dishes deserve! Lunch was more enjoyable than the previous day, sorry ladies, but my taste buds preferred these Falafels and Lemon Herb Pesto! Yum! 
  
Day three:
Waking up on day three I felt good and started to get used to dry brushing. It helped shed the old me, creating a stronger yet currently lethargic self. I drank my beauty water thoughtfully and prepped breakfast which was a Magic Mushroom Detox! I really enjoyed this meal. The taro-root mash and Chinese broccoli was delicious, I wanted more of it! 
But I still felt a pull toward chocolate he he! It was kind of funny taking notice of how many times I swung my chair around to where my snacks would have been LOL!
Lunch was equally yummy! Sakara prepared Purifying Cabbage Dumplings and Broth. I went home during my lunch to warm up this meal and tried to really enjoy each bite. The broth was a little too gingery for me but it was a nice touch with the dumplings.
Such a good lunch helped me through the rest of the work day and I was able to hold out on my kefir boost until I got home. Good thing too...evil work people brought in pastries!
 
That night for my Medicinal Broth I took the Sakara mavens advice and after heating up the broth I blended it. This made it a bit more frothy and complete. 
Thanks guys!
I sat back and enjoyed dinner contemplating the detox so far. I was more tired than normal, I could feel a difference. My body was definitely processing the detox...and it was a bit confused. I was still feeling a bloated too, so I consulted Annie with Sakara and she gave me a pep talk. She said all of those feelings were normal and to stick with the program! I had to remind myself that this wasn't a weight loss program, it was a body reset. A way to reduce bloating sure but also changing the way I look at food. Annie was so supportive!
Day Four: Soup day on a plane!

I felt like an idiot at first, thinking that the last detox day was Saturday. But I took this as an opportunity to push myself. Only being able to have liquids on a travel day was a blessing in disguise, saved us money and my tummy from buying packaged processed airport food and I got to get creative about taking liquids on the plane. I felt like a little clean food addict...sipping my little 3.5 oz bottles, savoring the coconut. I did bring some Sakara detox bars and a few Lara Bites just in case! Craig still got himself a burger during our short layover as I pounded little bottles of Greens. The Greens were hard to swallow LOL! After the first few bottles I had to take breaks to prepare myself to drink the rest. I was not used to this level of clean smoothies. Their...um...results were effective as well LOL!!
The rest of Day 4(one more greens blend, the Carrot Ginger Soup and Medicinal Broth) had to be packed, along with Day 5 meals. They all fared well on the trip and the hotel helped me heat up my soups! So nice!
There is no easy way to say this but the carrot  ginger soup was intense! I made Craig try some and he had a hard time with it and that says a lot! I wanted the full detox effect so I ate as much as I could. But it was not fun.
That night we walked around New Orleans a bit before retiring to our room for dinner. I could smell the beignets...their warm sugary dough called to me....it was so hard to not give in. After the carrot soup, the Medicinal Broth for dinner was a DREAM! It was comforting and healing. Adding to that, night supplements and detox water and I was set for slumber.
 
Day Five:
 During the first four days I still felt a bit bloated and tired but when I woke up on Sunday I felt magical. I felt light and amazing! Sure I was on vacation but my body and mind really felt good. That Annie knew what she was talking about! This inspired me to keep going on my body journey! After beauty water and brushing I nibbled on squash frittata in bed like a queen ha ha ha. That was a special morning!


After breakfast my appetite was a bit gone at that point. Maybe my system wasn't really craving anything crazy? The funny thing about it was that I didn't mind and I didn't feel like I was missing out either. I even took my lunch salad and dinner on the road. My last Sakara lunch was a light Kale Salad. Perfect in it's simplicity. Saraka chefs really come up with some yummy dressings. I'll have to check out the Clean Boutique and see what options they have. Side note, the Sakara Clean Boutique has amazing snack! My favorites are the Super-food Granola and Dark Chocolate Cardamon Cookies!
My last Sakara dinner was a Macro Bowl with Japanese pumpkin! How cool! This dish was packed with so much flavor and included a light salad. I love that I got to try so many different combinations of plant based dishes. It really broadened my savory world! After dinner I followed the last steps... took my supplements, drank my green detox water and brushed my body down. Just like that the 5 Day Detox II was over and while this bittersweet window closed, it opened beautiful french doors...and that was inspiring!
___________________________________
I learned a few things about myself in the process and gained a new perspective on food and health. I now know that if I eat quality food I will be more empowered through the day. For example, one surprising thing that happened (or really didn't happen) was that I did not get shaky between meals. I really expected it to happen...usually I eat a little throughout the day and I avoid that drop in blood sugar. It makes sense that Sakara's specialized meals would impact my body in this way. Obviously I have been doing something wrong in my nutrition ha ha ha! I have so much to learn!
On the physical side, I was proud of myself for sticking to the detox plan, especially with vacation looming and that made me so happy! I'm really happy that I got the chance to end the detox here in New Orleans and challenge myself! I wasn't feeling as anxious either. My skin did feel brighter and less blotchy, plus I felt sexy (see Frog Princess costume below). That was an added bonus!
 After the Detox: 
My body was craving healthy foods, so that was good. Sure I wanted a beignet but moving forward I took things slow. Our hotel gave us some complementary champagne which I did have but only a little. I wanted a change...I wanted to think of food differently and this program pushed me in that direction. I was now not only conscious of what I was putting into my body, but I felt good about it. Eating a leafy green salad was not a punishment and some of the guilt I held around food was gone. My body craved whole, nutrient rich foods. Honestly, yes I will always love chocolate but that OKAY. Everything in moderation.
Sakara helped me get more in touch with myself and it put me on a path toward change. 
Thanks for readin!
Xoxo Bunny

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin