Sunday, March 1, 2015

Chili and Cornbread Skillet

Howdy! 
Tonight I made a Chili and Cornbread Skillet from a recipe I found on Pinterest. 
I've made a "chuck wagon chow" before, with corn, beans and ground beef so this wasn't too far from what I know how to do...but I thought it would be fun to try!
To start, preheat the oven to 400 and brown the ground beef in an oven safe skillet/pot. Once the beef is completely cooked,no more pink, pour out the excess fat. 
Add the corn, black beans, tomatoes, chili beans and tomato sauce. Stir. Let simmer for 10 mins. *Be sure to add some chili powder for an extra kick!
Mix the cornbread up and add a cup of cheddar cheese. Fold in. Remove the chili from heat and drop corn/cheese mixture into the pan of chili by spoonfuls.
 Gently spread around top. Place in oven. Then bake for 20 mins or until top is golden.
 The cornbread will expand quite a bit, which was kinda cool to see! he he! Next slice into and serve. *Check cornbread before dividing.

I really love how the over all flavor turned out, the mix of the black beans and chili beans. Plus the cornbread on top was sooooo good! I have been cutting back on the carbs so this just made me melt. It was nice to have an actual meal! 
A quote from Craig: "It was a fun twist on the chili experience!" 
Thanks for reading...now it's Walking Dead time!-Bunny


No comments:

Post a Comment

Bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin